31 August, 2010

In which I prove something definitively.

David and I have an ongoing debate that will likely never be resolved. The debate is thus: which of Christopher Nolan's movies is better, the Dark Knight or Inception? I vehemently argue for the former, my brother for the latter.

This might make me some enemies in the online world, but frankly, I do not care. I liked Inception, but I did not find it the mind-blowing experience many other people did. I predicted the ending when I read a review of Inception on Slate--which isn't to say that I'm especially smart, just that the ending was that predictable.

Also, I am getting sick and tired of Leonardo DiCaprio's furrowed brows. He is going to look eighty years old in a few months.

Conversely, the Dark Knight is not only comic book-licious, it has Heath Ledger in the role of a lifetime. Also, Christian Bale in button-down shirts. Some actual surprises. And characters who are actually memorable instead of just "Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a vest" and "the girl from Juno playing a student of architecture."

To indicate how precisely my thumb rests on the pulse of American film, I found this email that I sent to Bob in February when I was sick. I have no memory of this dream or of writing him this email, so I must have been REALLY sick.

"Today I went to sleep and I had this CRAZY dream in which I had CRAZY dreams and worried that I was maybe CRAZY (in the meta-dream). Then I woke up five hours later and Facebook was different and my fever had broken. Maybe I am better now??????"

So basically, I and everybody else already knew Inception existed before it did. Ergo, Dark Knight is better. Now all I have to do is show this to my brother.

Also, this is a cool song about a dream. I have dreams about my future children as well. (I assume that is who they are.)

3 comments:

TheMoncurs said...

I LOVE comic book movies (even the bad Batmans) but Dark Knight was just too much for me. I did not enjoy it at all. Inception, however, I loooved. So I think we're going to have to agree to disagree!

Kelsy said...

The Prestige was even better.

theFinn said...

I really loved Inception for many reasons, but you had to know I would choose the Dark Knight. I have to put that one into a nice, neat package with Batman Begins, though, because I love watching Christian Bale become Batman so very, very much.

What I mean to say is, Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman. I'm glad you understand.

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day