16 August, 2010

Truly Outrageous

Raise your hand if you remember this show:


I don't remember it super well either, frankly. But I do remember that I had a Jem Girls lunch box. I wish I still had it ... it's probably worth money.

As it true with lots of pop music, all of Jem's songs pretty much sound the same.


The other night, my pals and I were hanging out in our pajamas, eating sugary cereal and watching 80s cartoons (you wish you were this cool). While we were watching the first few episodes of this fabulous show, we started discussing the incredible music videos that punctuate each episode. Sometimes two or three per half hour!

Bob: You realize that someone actually sat down and WROTE these songs?
Me: I can do that.
Bob: Could you?
Me: Give me a topic and I will write a pop song right now.
Bob: Before the end of this episode? [note: the episode was nearly over]
Me: Sure.
Bob: OK ... um ... the Burmese conflict!

I finished it while the credits were rolling. Thelma, I dedicate this pop song to you.

The Burmese Conflict

Once we lived in peace and harmony
in our homes and with our families
But then it became hard to be Burmese

Chorus:
Yeah, it's hard to be Burmese
out in the cold, we sob and sneeze.
Western world, we're on our knees
please bring justice to the Burmese

Once the Karens and Buddhists sat down to tea
united in our love of democracy
But then the violence of the BSPP
led to political hostility
Help our people to be free!

Chorus:
Yeah, it's hard to be Burmese
out in the cold, we sob and sneeze.
Western world, we're on our knees
please bring justice to the Burmese

I think I will drop out of school and become independently wealthy as a writer of pop songs. Don't worry, I will use my wealth to take down oppressive political regimes.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Shut up, you're awesome!

I totally thought of that when I watched Jem as a child!! You know which other show has even more songs per episode? Fraggle Rock. And they're pretty good songs, too.

eden said...

you have no idea how close i was to posting the jem and the holograms theme song on my blog about two months ago. something random reminded me of it and then i actually looked up an episode on youtube. wow.

however, i did not have awesome self-written words to another rock song just as awesome...

theFinn said...

Did you see my sisters dressed up as Jem and one of her singers? I think it was around sophomore year.

Also, to respond to the previous post (lazy, I know!), since our blog has very few pictures OR words, does that make it inherently superior?

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day