25 March, 2010

More 2010 Books

Touts itself as a collection of short stories but then eventually you figure out that EVERYTHING IS INTERRELATED. This was like a juicy piece of fruit for my mind. I love Margaret Atwood, though until this book I was only familiar with her poetry.


I had an elaborate plan all worked out in which I was to track down David Foster Wallace, profess my undying devotion to him, and live happily ever after. Two agoraphobes, together at last. And then what does he do? This book is possibly my favorite David Foster Wallace piece. And that is saying a lot because everything he has ever written is so brilliant there is no one word sufficient to describe it.

Even better than anticipated. Cry cry cry. Totally deserved the Pulitzer. The end.


Shout out to Janssen for the review that got me interested. This was a very interesting read, which detailed how most of the world's greatest success stories can be attributed not only to innate talent and hard work, but also sheer luck/destiny. Like being born at a certain time of year. Of attending a certain private school that had its own computer decades before any other kid had unlimited access to one (Bill Gates). Managed to balance being respectful of amazing talents like the Beatles who worked their asses off to get where they did, while also acknowledging the hand of God (indirectly) in their success.


Seriously, David Foster Wallace. You broke my heart. I loved you. It was the real thing.


I was really excited about reading this book (a memoir of the voice actress who created Bart Simpson) and although I enjoyed reading about some of the behind-the-scenes stuff because anyone who knows me knows I am a DIE HARD WOMB TO TOMB Simpsons fan, the book itself was one of the most self-serving, obnoxious memoirs I have ever read. The entire book is pretty much Cartwright gushing about how great she is and how so many famous people think she is the bee's knees. Insecure, sycophantic, SELF-PUBLISHED. 'Nuff said.


This book was EVEN SADDER THAN THE ROAD. It ripped my heart in half and then only kinda put it back together. I will definitely never see the film this novel led to, because it would probably make me so sad I would cry and forget to breathe and die.


I love David Sedaris' sweet little voice on NPR. This was really funny. I think I have been meaning to read it since I was in high school. David Sedaris is one of those really neurotic people that is so ridiculous you can't help but love him. Like Woody Allen before he turned all creepy.


Super good, lesser-known Lois Lowry book. Different from her other works in that it's a fantasy book: not sci-fi, not dystopian allegory, but straight-up fantasy. Made me cry--mostly because it was about a little boy in foster care (sniff). Made me want to be a foster parent. You, know, more than usual.


1 comment:

theFinn said...

I am so glad that you liked The Road. We can still be friends.

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day