A life without traditions is hardly a life at all. I enjoy traditions of the large-scale variety (such as Christmas, and National Waffle Day) and of the smaller-scale variety (Such as Sego's birthday). Sometimes, you need to create your own traditions to make life more interesting. Well, I do, at least.
To wit: for the past three months or so, I have been dressing with a theme for Church every Sunday. I use clothes I already own, not costume pieces. I try to make the theme as obvious as possible without resorting to anyone that looks too costume-y. It's a magical experiment to find the balance between fashion, symbolism and subtlety. Past themes include:
1. Waitress
2. Catholic schoolgirl
3. Pirate wench
4. Cowgirl
5. The Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland
6. Egyptian princess
7. Lamanite princess
8. Lumberjack wench (Note: If you want to utilize any sort of traditionally "male" theme, simply add "wench" to the theme you have chosen)
9. Edgar Alan Poe (AKA melancholy/black and white)
10. Old lady at a tea party
11. Barbie
12. Medieval beer wench
and so on.
Future themes that I am still working on include:
1. Nancy Sinatra
2. Jackie Kennedy
3. The Childlike Empress from Neverending Story
but I'm starting to run low on ideas. Any suggestions?
If you submit an idea and I use it, you will receive some sort of tangible/intangible prize.
8 comments:
That is too awesome for words. I'll need to think on this and get back to you.
(brain too fried from writing my novel. it may be a few weeks)
say Jackie Onassis. Also, I remember Edgar Allen Poe.
You should take pictures and post them!!
Please tell me there are pictures of these outfits. Please??
um...soooooo awesome! my suggestions would include: hogwarts student/hermione granger, elf from LOTR, and/or hobbit, jane goodall, one of the jetsons, amelia earhart, what's-her-name from the matrix, a pioneer, the cat in the hat, violet beaudelair from a series of unfortunate events, lady gaga, a mormon housewife, elaine from seinfeld, sarah palin {woof}, hilary clinton, june carter cash, dolly parton, a school teacher, maria from the sound of music, mary poppins, a coal miner's daughter, anne of green gables/avonlea, laura ingalls wilder, rosie the riveter, and tina fey.
whew. that was really satisfying.
you really should take pictures.
Elisa, I love this so much! I think I have seen parts of these themes. I have a few myself, but they just seem to happen. I like your initiative to planning them!
I wish I were in your ward. I wish I were in your ward.
and yes. pictures please!
Post a Comment