24 November, 2009

Books I will insist my children read

Because I've been thinking about literature lately.

For children:

Matilda by Roald Dahl
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Holes by Louis Sachar
The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Treehorn Times Three by Florence Parry Heide
Nobody's Family is Going to Change by Louise Fitzhugh
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery
ALL the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary
ALL the Fudge books by Judy Blume
ALL the Russell and Elisa books by Johanna Hurwitz
The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume
Free to be ... You and Me by various artists
ALL the Anastasia books by Lois Lowry
Hope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

For young adults:

A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Cages by Peg Kehret
The Chosen by Chaim Potok
Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
I Heard the Owl Call My Name by Margaret Craven
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Touch Not the Cat by Mary Stewart
Persepolis I & II by Marjane Sartrapi
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

For adults:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle
The Watchmen by Alan Moore et al.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Hiroshima by John Hersey
Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace
A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace
The Anatomy of Peace by the Arbinger Institute
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
1984 by George Orwell
Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Bible
The Book of Mormon
The Doctrine and Covenants
Mythology by Edith Hamilton


Things I will never let my children read:

My mission journals

8 comments:

Gordon said...

Treehorn Times Three!

Ashley said...

Holy Newbery Medal books, Batman!

Great lists.

Is anyone allowed to read your mission journals?

Brooke said...

I AGREE! For all the ones I have read.

I have not read these:

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Treehorn Times Three by Florence Parry Heide
Nobody's Family is Going to Change by Louise Fitzhugh
ALL the Russell and Elisa books by Johanna Hurwitz
The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume
Free to be ... You and Me by various artists
Hope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus
A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle
Cages by Peg Kehret
The Chosen by Chaim Potok
I Heard the Owl Call My Name by Margaret Craven
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Touch Not the Cat by Mary Stewart
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Hiroshima by John Hersey
Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace
A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe


Which one should I read first?

Brooke said...

scratch The Chosen. I have read that book. a few times.

pamily said...

add: the mixed up files of mrs. basil e. frankweiler

remove: the lovely bones. ooooh i hated that book. so much.

i love your lists otherwise though

Mister Brock said...

Roald Dahl!Roald Dahl!Roald Dahl!Roald Dahl!Roald Dahl! I LOVE HIM!!!!
George's Marvelous Medacine was one of my all time favorites.

Did you ever read Summer of the Monkeys? I didn't see it on the list. Maybe I missed it Just saying.

I may have to go through this list myself....that is a tasty thought.

Elisa said...

OH MY SHOOT I FORGOT ONE.

Someday, Angeline, by Louis Sachar

Rachel. said...

I love, LOVE Hope for the Flowers. Courtesy of Adam Griggs. (As well as many others on your list. Not courtesy of Adam Griggs.)

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day