07 October, 2010

A memo I missed and another I didn't.


I won't try to pretend that I was a tomboy when I was little. I did climb trees and collect bugs, but I also played with dolls until I was in fifth or sixth grade (but secretly). I never was much one for sports or roughhousing. However, I completely MISSED the whole Princess thing that most girls supposedly go through at some point. Do you think it's an exaggeration to say that most girls have a princess phase?

I never played with make-up or pretended to be a princess. I never had a Disney Princess costume or insisted on pink everything or screamed at my mother, "MY REAL MOM'S A PRINCESS!"

OK, I did once. But it was in jest.

I think the whole princess trend which is manifesting itself in very strange ways is finally starting to ebb. I hope so. It doesn't seem like the catalyst for healthy thought patterns in little girls. I'm glad I missed it.

However, lest you think it's an urban myth, I have several distinct memories of looking at my various Barbie dolls and feeling sad that I didn't look like them. How messed up is that?

In sum: American culture screws up little girls in a vast myriad of ways.



Check out the rest of this series here or the other work of Dina Goldstein here. Genius.

4 comments:

TheMoncurs said...

I LIKED princesses but never really went through the hardcore princess phase so many girls go through these days.

And I LOVE that series. Brilliant.

katiekono said...

The Fairy Tale heroine pix were terrific! I journaled for a while (long time ago) in "A Woman's Tale: A Journal of Inner Exploration" which used fairy tale heroines as jumping-off points. Remember the "Hero's Journey" unit at Room Nine? I found a reading list for "A Heroine's Journey" put together by someone I think you would like:Valorie Frankel. http://frankelassociates.com/calithwain/HeroineReading.htm

CALL MOM!

theFinn said...

Is it terrible of me to totally feed my niece's love of princesses? To be fair, she decided that she loves them all on her own. Am I absolved because aunts are supposed to be a bad influence?

Thelma said...

I had a princess phase - but it didn't involve pink or barbies or big dresses - it was more about me being like "yeah I'm a princess, all girls are - boom society, don't you dare tell me I'm worthless"

Yes at girls camp I did wear a tiara

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day