15 November, 2010

2010 Books Galore


The Man from Krypton: A Closer Look at Superman by Glenn Yeffeth, ed.

I promise this is the last comic book-related anthology I will review for a while. Maybe. We'll see. You never know.

This was another one of the Smart Pop anthologies that I read over the summer, and this was one of the better ones. Superman has been around long enough that there is plenty to say about him. I would say this one is just as good as Webslinger.


Positive Discipline: the First Three Years by Jane Nelson

I started reading this at my employer's house when I was a nanny and liked it so much I wanted to finish it. In fact, I decided I wanted to read all the books in the Positive Discipline series. It's a really great philosophy for dealing with kids.

The main premise is that kids behave well when they feel good about themselves and their abilities, and parenting's goal should be to empower kids to learn through doing rather than be motivated by rewards and/or punishments. I saw a lot of truth in what they were saying. But all bets are off until I am co-raising a child that is not also my sibling.


Replay by Sharon Creech

I found this book at the library kind of by accident. I really liked Walk Two Moons, also by Creech, so I thought I would give it a shot. It's a really nice little book about a young Hispanic boy who feels like he doesn't fit into his family because he's very introspective and imaginative (his family nicknames him "fog boy"). Really short, nice read. Might have choked me up at the end. But what else is new.


The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Oh man. If you read only one reworking of Shakespeare set in rural Wisconsin, make it this one.
Kidding aside, this was an amazing book. Earned all the praise it garnered when it first came out. I could see it becoming a classic. The book is a retelling of Hamlet, told from the point of view of Edgar, a mute teenager who raises dogs with his parents. Even though I've read Hamlet so I had an idea of how things are going to end (re: not good) this book was incredibly gripping. The author is able to make everyone's point of view come alive--even the dogs' point of view, which I think is a rare gift.
Of all the books I am posting about today, if you plan to read one of them, read this one.
The Birthday Ball by Lois Lowry
Another fun, easy YA read. Fact: Lois Lowry can do no wrong. Also fact: this is one of those books I would like to read to my class someday (probably fourth grade and up). It's a reworked fairy tale with a pretty traditional-sounding premise, but still turns out to be really fun. I was genuinely curious as to how things were going to work out, which is a good sign.

P.S. Blogger's paragraph spacing rules are SO IRRITATING

2 comments:

celestethebest said...

Totally agree that Lois Lowry can do no wrong. I actually picked up a few more of her books this summer because of one of your blog posts (Gossamer, Gathering Blue, Messenger- love em)

theFinn said...

I don't know why I was thinking about this. Maybe it's because you've been working through some books for children/YA that reminded me of my childhood. Have you ever read the All-of-a-Kind Family series? I used to LOVE those books, and I wonder if I read them now if they would be dull.

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day