15 June, 2010

The Seven Deadly Sins, Day 6: Envy

Envy consists in seeing things never in themselves, but only in their relations. If you desire glory, you may envy Napoleon, but Napoleon envied Caesar, Caesar envied Alexander, and Alexander, I daresay, envied Hercules, who never existed.
Bertrand Russell


I was going to post a bunch of pictures of women I am jealous of, but my attention span is already waning really dramatically, so I am just going to say: Mr. Russell is right. Envying others is pretty silly, because the grass is always greener on the other side of history, etc. If we could all read minds, no one would be envious of anyone else, because all your pain and low self-esteem and horrible memories and cellulite would be obvious to everyone else, instead of just you.

I do legitimately envy people with kids even though I am fully aware that parenting is really really hard. But, what are you gonna do.

It has seriously tapped all my remaining energy to write as much as I have. I would just like to say that sometimes I get sad that I don't look like her:


Then I get over it. But it's always painful.

1 comment:

Grant said...

The big secret to her beauty: digital photo editing.

Gimme a few hours and photoshop CS5 and I can make you look just like that. :)

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day