01 June, 2010

I can't Believe I Haven't Blogged About X, Day 1: Sandwiches




I can't believe I haven't devoted an entire blog post to how much I love sandwiches. I have mentioned them offhand once or twice, but not once have I given sandwiches their due, considering how deeply I care for them.

I really love sandwiches, guys.

Here's the thing. I hate cooking. Well, that's not entirely true. I like cooking for other people, and I like following recipes. When it comes to cooking with Bob or Greg or Ashley, I can't get enough, because they tell me what to do and whatever we come up with is always delicious. However, I am not a creative or recreational cook. I do not like eating enough to bother making exotic, complex meals for myself. I do not like opening a cupboard and figuring out how to make dinner without having an idea of what I want to make beforehand. I will be a lousy housewife. But we all knew that already.

I am a vegetarian, as you know, so most of my meals consist of plant ingredients. I could be quite happy subsisting on rabbit foods for an inordinately long time. In fact, I recall that my sophomore year in college, I ate only raisins, almonds, celery, apples, and vegetarian corn dogs (which I could also easily devote an entire blog post to). Not coincidentally, this was when I was at my thinnest and sexiest. If MorningStar hadn't stopped carrying those magnificent corn dogs, I would totally go back on that diet.

Anyway, my point is, I don't mind eating the same food over and over, and I am often too intimidated to try COOKING something new because I'm afraid of screwing it up. It's true. I ruin everything. I have ruined macaroni and cheese.

Enter sandwiches. Easy. Delicious. Impossible to ruin. Endless possibilities.

I suppose that technically, one could ruin a sandwich, but even I haven't managed to do that yet. Burning grilled cheese sandwiches doesn't count, seeing as that's not a cooking issue, but rather a "I am retardedly impatient and have ADHD" issue.

Oh yeah! I just remembered that my sophomore year of college I invented the Peanut Butter and Lettuce sandwich. So I must have eaten that too, back in 2005.

Here are some of my favorite sandwiches to eat:

1. Veggie burger of some kind with traditional/non-traditional hamburger-esque ingredients: lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, avocado, mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, etc.

2. I have blogged about this specific sandwich before, but I should just reiterate that grilled Muenster cheese + raspberry jam + sliced pears = bliss in my mouth.

3. Also courtesy of Robbie, strawberries + cream cheese + nutella = much delicious, though not very nutritious.

4. The aforementioned peanut butter and lettuce sandwich probably sounds gross, because it kinda is, however the overarching idea is that peanut butter tastes good with lots of things, not just jam. For example, peanut butter and sprouts is really good. Peanut butter + honey + sprouts + banana = surprisingly good and fibrous.

5. I ate poultry and fish when I was in high school, which was when I discovered the wonder that is the Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich: turkey, cranberry sauce, cream cheese, lettuce, tomato, and whatever else you want. Well, turns out that kind of sandwich is good without turkey, too.

Please excuse me while I leave to go eat a sandwich.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Mmmm...sandwiches.

Salads, also difficult to ruin and almost always awesome and oh-so-easy to vegetarianizeify.

My mouth is watering now.

Aimee said...

Here's a good veggie sandwich I made a few weeks ago. You might like it!

http://frim-fram-sauce.blogspot.com/2010/05/bellavitano-grilled-cheese-sandwich.html

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day