31 May, 2009

If a genie gave you 3 wishes, what would they be?

Thanks for the prompt Vilja. I love you. You should all check out Vilja and Jordan's blog, because it is wicked awesome. Vilja's prompt in full was:

"If a genie gave you 3 wishes, what would they be? (Following the "Aladdin" rules of no wishing for more wishes, no wishing people dead, and no making people fall in love)"

Unrelated side note: my dinner tonight was red peppers, onions, tomatoes, brussels sprouts, corn and carrots roasted with olive oil, garlic and rosemary. And it was FABULOUS. Maybe I will be able to cook, after all. Someday.

Anyway, here are my three wishes and their justifications:

1. My first wish would be a cure for scleroderma. I know you all will probably call me a jerk for not eradicating ALL diseases with a wish, but here's the thing: diseases are necessary, even though when they strike and who they strike is often quite unfair. Having all disease eliminated would most likely lead to some post-apocalyptic world in which no one could survive past twenty and everyone was the most vile of sinners. Or something like that. If I could find a cure for one disease, it would be the one affecting my best friend Cori. And all the other people dealing with scleroderma who pretty much suffer in silence. It pisses me off that few people know about scleroderma only because no one famous has died from it.

2. My next wish would be to know 1. Whether I was going to get married in this life and if so 2. the EXACT date of said marriage. I know some people think knowing things like that takes the fun out of life. Not so! If I knew when I were getting married I could stop worrying about it, and plan my life accordingly. Assuming the date were at least a few years in the future I could even have a little fun and go on some adventures (maybe even join the Peace Corps!) without worrying about missing out on something more important. None of the stressing out about moving business. To stay in Provo or not to stay? Well, I'm getting married January 19th, 2012. So I can move to New York for a few years, at least. That was easy. Ah. If only.

3. This third one is harder to come up with. I can think of a few, but I can't be sure how important they are. Some of them just aren't, actually. Like inheriting a winery in Oregon and spending the rest of my life there. Or looking like Catherine Zeta-Jones. Or a horsey. I can also think of a few attempts at "changing the world" like eradicating war or ending poverty. But honesty, messing with agency in such an epic way really seems like a bad move in the long run. This life really is pretty short, when you think about it. So I'm going to say that my last wish would be to choose one hundred people in the world who could have one wish, and having it granted with my approval. I think a lot of good could be accomplished that way, but not so much that mortality becomes pointless.

Lastly: my new favorite snack is toast with sour cream. It's so yummy!

2 comments:

L'homme Masqued said...

My friend lived in Harlem for a couple months and from the way she made it sound it was awesome. The ward there is awesome and it isn't dangerous at all. You should check it out!

theFinn said...

I should get a free wish because
A. I'm awesome and B. I gave you the first prompt you used.

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day