25 December, 2008

AdoptUsKids.org



Merry Christmas! And now, a public service announcement by Elisa Koler.

Every year, my family spends Christmas Eve with our extended family, and then on Christmas Day, we spend some time with Carlos' birth family. They are open, generous people, and I am so glad they are in my life. They take nothing from our Christmas celebration, in fact they add to it. None of them could care for Carlos, but they still love him. I love my little brother so much, and I can't imagine my life without him. I am grateful this his birth mother recognized that she could not provide a stable home for her son, and had the wisdom and unselfishness to let him live with people who could. I hope one day she will be clean and sober, and I know my brother will continue to support her in that goal.

I read the book Oliver Twist when I was a senior in high school, and it really pissed me off. I hated the implied concept that family members who don't even know each other would be able to recognize one another on the street. Families aren't born. They're made. I love my adopted brother just as much as I love my biological brother (truth be told, he even looks more like me).

So on the off chance anyone who reads this is considering adoption, let me offer my full support. Adoption is the ultimate act of love, for everyone involved. Not just for babies, either. Even though we missed Carlos' babyhood, he is still my parents' son, and my brother.

1 comment:

pamily said...

I so totally agree with this. Adoption is such an amazing experience. Brock's birth mom never came forward so we'll never know who he is. Not even the state knows. But he's so completely a part of our family that most people have no idea he's adopted. Most people think he looks just like Tod and my mom. It's been a huge blessing for us to have him in our home. I love him just as much as all of my blood siblings.

And actually, I got to talk to him on the phone on Christmas Eve. OH MY GOSH! SO CUTE! He kept saying "Mewwy Kiss-mas!" Little siblings are the best :)

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day