07 September, 2008

My Favorite Hymns

There is a primary song that I will never forget, because ever since I was a very young child, I have had a terrible habit of swearing. I remember when I was about six thinking that the word "bullshit" was just something you said when you disagreed with someone, seeing as I heard it from my dad so often. This did not endear me to my kindergarten teacher.

If on occasion you have found
Your language is in question,
Or ugly thoughts come to your mind,
Then here’s a good suggestion.

Just hum your favorite hymn,

Sing out with vigor and vim,
And you will find it clears your mind.
Hum your favorite hymn.

I really tried to get out of this habit when I was preparing for my mission, and I did a pretty good job, aside from a few blunders that I will only tell you about if you ask. Anyway, I thought I would share with the five people who read my blog (love you, Mom):

My Favorite Hymns

This was the first hymn I memorized as a kid, I believe for some primary program.

9. All Creatures of Our God and King
I love animals. I love the word "alleluia." And I love love love St. Francis of Assisi.

8. A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
I remember the first time I heard this song as a teenager. I was in tears by the end. And this songs always reminds me of Joseph Smith, and his compassion towards others.

7. God Moves in a Mysterious Way
The music in this hymn is haunting. And I love the lyrics. It was Wilford Woodruff's favorite hymn, and I have always liked him.

6. Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
I love the music of this one. I wish I knew enough about music to explain why. I love how grand it sounds.

5. Press Forward, Saints
Not only does this song contain my favorite word (alleluia) but it was also written by my favorite professor of all time, Marvin K. Gardner.

4. How Gentle God's Commands
Always a good reminder. I love these words.

3. I Know That My Redeemer Lives
The old standby. But the reason why it's so popular is: this song is amazing.

2. That Easter Morn
I know this is an Easter song, but I sing it all year long. Gorgeous.

1. I Stand All Amazed
When I was little, I thought it was sad how hard the author was on himself. Then I grew up and realized how unworthy I am, and how amazing the Atonement is. That Christ was willing to suffer for me, a prideful, irritating, hypocritical jerk. That is really something wonderful.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

There might only be 5 of us, but reading it gets us through. :)

I wanted to add "Praise to the Man" on your list. The first time I heard it we sang it as the closing song of a Sacrament meeting and I was almost outraged. Then I grew up and really gained a testimony of and fell madly in love with Joseph Smith and now it's one of my favorites.

theFinn said...

Every time I hear "God Moves in Mysterious Ways", I can't help but sing it to the tune of U2's "Mysterious Ways". Blasphemous? I think Bono's earned a spot on the "Songs of the Soul" list.

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day