12 April, 2008

Proportions of the human body (possible tmi warning here)

So tonight I rented and watched the 1990 film "Pretty Woman," a movie I have always wanted to see, have now seen, and will most likely never see again. I found it formulaic yet interesting enough, but certainly not the romantic classic I've heard it lauded as. Maybe I just couldn't get over the prostitute thing. I don't know.

But the point here is that Julia Roberts' character, throughout the movie, spits out random facts about the proportion of the human body. Things like: the length of your foot is the same as the length from your wrist to your elbow. Stuff like that. But in one scene -- one of the few romantic scenes that I actually liked -- Julia and Richard Gere are in the bathtub together and she wraps her legs around him from behind. Then she says, "My leg is 44 inches from hip to toe. You now have 88 inches of therapy wrapped around you, all for the bargain price of three thousand dollars." If you've seen the movie that line will make sense. The point here is the numbers.

I started thinking, 44 inches huh? Julia Roberts, I think, is really tall. I wonder how long my leg is? So I rummaged around until I found my measuring tape and measured my leg from where my hip is (I estimated) to my toe (pointed). Assuming that is what the writer meant by hip to toe. Anyway, my leg measured 41 inches. Not bad, considering my height.

Then, as a lark, I measured my bust around my back to the front of my breasts. That was in fact 44 inches. Julia Roberts' Leg, if you will. I thought to myself, wait a second. Is it normal to have your bust circumference be a larger number than the length of your leg?

I immediately texted a friend of mine, who will remain anonymous just in case something like this would embarrass her. I made her get out of bed and measure herself. We are about the same height, but her measurement was 38 inches from hip to heel (adding a few inches for the foot would most likely make around 41 inches, same as me, possibly a bit longer) and her bust was 36. That sounds much more normal to me.

Making me, what, some sort of Amazon Hobbit?

Girls, measure yourselves. I need to know if I'm normal here.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I offered to get out of bed, thankyouverymuch. :)

TheMoncurs said...

Bust: 35 (I'm like a pancake even after having a baby)
Leg: 41

Our legs are the same! At first I was kind of disappointed that my legs weren't 44 inches but then I looked up Julia Roberts height. She is 5'9". I'm 5'6". I'd probably look weird with 44 inch legs.

JustMe said...

I just watched the movie and thought I would check out my measurements. I am 5'5", my legs measure 44" and my bust 40". I sometimes wish I was taller but now I feel pretty good. BTW, I don't look weird.

SideshowStarlet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SideshowStarlet said...

Comment deleted, edited, then reposted. I am 5'11". From hip to toe (I pointed my toes and laid on my bed to measure), I measure 48 inches. My bra size is 38C.

I'm tall, but I also have big feet, which partially contributes to the 96 inches of therapy you would receive. I'm single, by the way...LOL.

This is a very interesting post. I recently saw "Pretty Woman" all the way through for the first time. I used to always just see clips of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm 175 cm (5'9) and my legs (hip to toe) measure 47 inches. I think it's weird to measure from hip to toe; hip to heel seems to make much more sense, since most people don't wear 4 inch heels 24/7. I'm 43 inches hip to heel (my feet are kinda short relative to my height).

Darth Vader Quotes

There was an error in this gadget

Andy Warhol Art of the Day